Wednesday, July 13, 2016

WEEK 1, DAY 1: GETTING TO KNOW YOUR NAME

Week 1, Day 1:  Getting to know you.   

Names -  Who are you?  I am.......

I greet the children at the door by shaking their hand.  It is cute to see who shakes and who wants to slap my hand.  Another lesson I show them is how to shake hands when greeting someone.  I look in their faces and get down to their height the best I can.  I introduce myself "Welcome.  I am Mrs. Cantrell....(wait a second to see if they say their name and then ask "What is your name?"  "I am SO glad you're in my class."    
OPENING SONG to learn classmates' names:

I love Raffi's "The More We Get Together".  It gives us the tune so we can continue on our own singing, 'there's Nathan and Candy and Paul and Michael and Isaac.."  I put my hands on their shoulders and sing their name while encouraging all to say their classmates names.  "the happier we'll be" 
 

Raffi Intro The More We Get Together YouTube - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MQBa4WRpI

 STORY

My favorite first day story is The Curious Little Kitten by Linda Hayward.  It is about a little kitten who is curious and wants to know what is on the other side of each of the three fences.  She meets a dog, a goldfish who scare her and she runs back home to be safe.  Ultimately she meets another kitten 'friend'. 




RECOGNIZING and READING  NAMES
I have printed their first names on 'name cards' and hold up one at a time and sing,
"Whose name is this?     
Whose can it be?    
Whose name is this?   
Please look and see."

I explain that as I hold up each name, if it is their name, they are to raise their hand and say  "Here I am" and come up front.  If they aren't sure, I will read their name for them.  ("This says  "___"  that is your name/who is ___?")
As each child comes to get their name, I assess if they can tell me the letters in their name, in order and out of order.  
Then they are shown how to put their name card on a pocketchart.  
Start the row on the Top and place cards left to right, when to start a new row. 
I am consistent with this routine to prepare them for reading and writing.  This is all choreographed with a purpose. 


Putting their names on the pocketchart will become a daily routine as they enter the classroom.  It's like checking-in for the day.  Each morning the name cards are laid on the floor by the door so they can find their name.  It makes a quick attendance check for me and a responsibility to get ready.

WHERE IS THUMBKIN with student's names
"Where is Thumbkin?" is a quick and easy fingerplay.  Many children need this finger exercise to strengthen and develop control of using one finger at a time.  
A fun version is to use students names in the rhyme.  
We sing:  Where is Jacob?....(Jacob comes forward and says)  "Here I am..."
Where is Samuel?...(Samuel comes up front and says)  "Here I am...."
How are you this morning?   (they shake hands and respond)  "Very well, I thank you"
Now sit down, now sit down.
(another name game to remember classmates names)



Before sending the children home, teach them this fingerplay, 
"One Little House".

One little house    (hold up hand into a fist for a house)
Shut up tight  
Open the door
And there inside    (open hand and point to palm with opposite pointer)
Are   1,2,3,4,5        (count fingers holding up pointer as one, two bunny ears....)
Five little children 
Tall and straight     (opposite pointer finger strokes counting fingers up for straight)
Ready to go to kindergarten   (hold up both hands and wiggle all fingers--excitedly
Don't be late!        (put hands behind back)


They love hurrying to put their hands behind their back.  

This sets the tone that they will be coming back tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment