Monday, July 18, 2016

Hand-in-Hand



Hand-in-Hand

This is how I hope to try to be living my life.  If I have missed my opportunity, then I apologize.  We all have our struggles and challenges.

There are 3 basic rules in my class.
1.  Be nice*
2.  Listen
3.  Do your best


This generation is growing up with a strong technology influence.   Me, me, me.
I saw a news interview with Dr. Michele Borba.  She has written a new book called, Unselfie.  I have read her website micheleborba.com   She has written books, articles and speaks about parenting strategies.  She has written on her blog,  "42 Ways to Raise a Kind Child."


These are some of my ideas:

HOLDING HANDS
I still think it is important to hold the hand of the first child in line.  (My assistant automatically holds the hand of the student at the end of the line.) This simple gesture makes the line leader at the beginning and the 'end of the line helper' a chance to feel special.
Thus holding hands.......we don't do it enough.


LINE BUDDIES

This past year I had a challenging class.  They were very bright but socially, they did not mesh.  So I tried "Line Buddies" the last few weeks of school.  A Line Buddy is another student they are assigned to be with.  I randomly selected the first buddy for the week.  Although our school hallway line procedure is in a single line, I knew my students needed to learn about looking out for another person.  Some pairs held hands, some put their arms around each others' shoulders. As long as it was not distracting, it was their choice, I didn't comment as long as they walked together.   Five-year olds are naturally empathetic.  We just need to allow them the chance.  Line buddies has helped when the children line up from recess, they look for their line partner.  Buddy up!  Look out for each other.


HEARTPRINTS
 Heartprints Ideals Childrens Books,http://www.amazon.com/dp/0824954505/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_zMc3rb13KYZ135EB:

I found this charming book by P. K. Hallinan called Heartprints.  I read this at the beginning of the year and especially on birthdays.  I encourage the children to think of something kind to describe the birthday child.  We write a brief story by completing sentences about their favorite color, food and what they like to do in kindergarten.  Some years, I just have the students sign their name next to the heart on the back of the story as we would for a birthday card.  Some years, I have the students tell a word describing something about the birthday child.

Individual Behavior Home Report
For some students, I have tried a Think About it form that the students would fill out when they have broken a rule.  For other children, I have developed a form that I fill out when they are 'caught' doing something nice.  It seems to be more effort on our part to catch the good acts rather than the misbehaviors. 



Catching children doing good for others, learning, being nice can set the best expectation example for the class.


Keeping things simple so it can work.





No comments:

Post a Comment