Tuesday, July 19, 2016

SINGING THE ALPHABET



 
In my early days teaching kindergarten, I didn't think it was important to be able to sing the ABC song.  We taught the letters out of order and didn't want to give the false impression that if you can sing the song  "now I know my ABCs..."  Now, I think it is a good hook and it is important to be able to do it. 



I have a set of carpet squares that I use often in directing students to 'sit on the letter m'.  As they are dismissed to their workjob, they have to pick up their carpet square and tell me the name of the letter (shape, number).  If they don't know it, they can ask a friend. 

After the first few days of school, I begin playing an "ABC song" as the children enter in the morning.  I have an alphabet poster hanging under my easel and another one near our large group area.  I also have the traditional alphabet line above my chalkboard.  Gradually I have added alphabet sentence strips and cards around the room.
This is a copy from Discovery Toys CD "Sounds like Fun".  I like the use of the lowercase letter form used.
If you can't get a copy, just make your own with beginning sound pictures.  
I point to just the letters on closest available poster as we practice singing the traditional ABC song.  I want the children to begin to notice around the room.  

I also am still using the letters in their name to build their name for recognition and naming the letters in classmates names.  

After doing singing the traditional ABC song for a week, I introduce the "Letter Sound Song" from Discovery Toys and point to the poster for a visual. The song/chant is simple and repeats each line.  Teacher can say it first and students repeats.
"apple, apple,  /a/, /a/, /a/   (repeats)  apple, apple,   /a/, /a/, /a/
baby, baby      /b/, /b/, /b/ .."  *be sure you do not say /buh/
               
I really like this way to connect the first sound, isolated sound and later letter recognition.
"apple, apple,  /a/, /a/,  'a' (say letter name)



I have made a smaller, black and white version for the children to practice with.  This requires them to point one to one and follow along, left to right and repeats.  Any alphabet chart works well.  It is ok to switch types of alphabet print cards to push for one to one accurate pointing.  You might learn that certain formats work better with certain groups.  Use your professional discretion.

We continue to add other "ABC song" versions.
I like:
Greg and Steve's "ABC Rock" 

Dr Jean's "Nursery Rhyme Rap" (this includes singing the alphabet song between nursery rhymes)

I am also very conscience about enunciating each letter  name correctly and slow down at "l,m,n,o,p"  and "t,u,v". 
(good phonics and speech skill)

The first homework activity is the children take home a mini alphabet poster that they are required to point to the letters while singing/reciting the ABC song.  
Then I assess them on their ability to do this.  Before they point to the card, I just ask them to sing the ABC song.  
One year I asked a little boy to sing the ABC song.  
He looked at me rather oddly 
and said "well, ok.  ABC, it's easy as 1,2,3...."   
gotta love them!

  • Write random uppercase and lowercase letters on sentence strips and practice just reciting the letters.  This can be done with the whole group, small group or in student pair.   If you're familiar with Dibels, this prepares them with 'Say It Fast' LNF. (letter naming fluency)

Continue chanting variations with individual cards.


First just show card and say letter name. Then connect the letter and sound.
"A...apple..../a/"  in order and then out of order.

Starfall.com has an alphabet blocks game.

 

YouTube has many videos to sing/say and see.  

 
 
I like Havefunteaching phonics song video to just sing the alphabet and then there are "jazzy" (yeah, my oldness term)  segments to connect the sound with each letter. 
 

Singing and body movements connect in another way.
Dr. Jean's  "Phonercise" and "Who let the letters out"
"Go Letters: Cheer" are on YouTube or in CD.

Next blog will be more about connecting the letters with the sounds.  Whenever you use a visual you are beginning the connection. 




 The more they practice (right)
The better they get!

No comments:

Post a Comment