Monday, June 20, 2016

Tubs and trays: MATS and BOXES


"Third time is a charm", they say.  I have retyped this post three times.  Although I saved each time, near the end somehow it had become lost.  Maybe it's been a reminder  message to ...SAVE and SAVE again.  Another lesson!

TUBS and TRAYS

I refer to tubs and trays as FLOOR WORKJOBS.  The children have access to these during FREE CHOICE and/or during a CENTER switch.  The contents of the container vary such as pattern blocks, cubes, beads, popsicle sticks, tangram puzzle pieces, pegs and pegboards, toothpicks, 1-inch tiles, parquetry tiles, lacing cards, etc.
The building process develops from flat to more complex vertical structures and designs.
I prefer to allow the children to explore and share with partners rather than trying to teach them how to make something.  PLAY is the way they truly learn!
There are rules using the contents such as keep items on the mat.
We do not throw or bother others 'work' (respect other learners and things).
These are learning tools not toys like they may have at home.

TRAYS and BOXES
I save cardboard boxes from cans and reinforce the corners with packaging tape.  I have also covered inside and outside with contact paper for extra support.
The plain ones are used as contained mailboxes.  (See the beautiful wooden mailbox made by my first principal and another parent.  They are at least 40 years old and still so functional.)

TUBS
I pick these up at the dollar stores.  They are ideal for setting out multiples of pattern blocks, unifix cubes, etc.  The children can easily carry them with a partner or alone.



PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINERS
The containers with lids are nice for stacking at cleanup time on the limited counterspace.  The contents are easily seen and accessible for partner work.  I teach them to put the lid under the tub during play/use for safety.

MATS
I use rubberized shelf and drawer liners.  They come in a variety of colors and are relatively inexpensive.  I can cut them into a square that folds nicely like a washcloth (a housekeeping skill some need to learn).
Using the mats, helps confine their floor space and materials for SAFETY.  The square mat is large enough to allow for two children to partner nicely. 
Occasionally, some manipulatives such as my wooden letters need a larger mat so the entire alphabet can be laid out.  These mats are kept just for those items.
During cleanup, the mats can be folded and stored in a 'mat box'.




STORAGE BOXES AND TOTES
I love Sterilite storage boxes from Walmart.  I use them to store my themed books and activities.  I can also set them out with books for the students to 'read'.   They stack nicely as you can see and hold quite a lot.



There are so many baskets and bins that are also convenient, colorful and thrifty containers.  I've received free containers, pitchers and trays used in hospitals years ago and still have them in my classroom.

More to share next time.  What are your favorites?



No comments:

Post a Comment