Thursday, June 9, 2016

Gotta Love it!



Gotta Love it!                            


Teaching kindergarten isn’t for everyone.  In fact, “I NEVER wanted to teach kindergarten!” I said in college.  When I was home during breaks from college my junior and senior years, I would sub.  A friend of our family was a principal at an elementary in my home town and he always called me to sub in kindergarten.  This was long before standards and tests and full day.  By lunch time, I was popping Excedrin to make it through the day.  I don’t remember what the ‘plans’ were, I only remember the kids banging on the piano and wondering where do I go to eat lunch?

And now with 42 years teaching and 36 of those in kindergarten, I find I do love it!
I recently heard that teaching kindergarten is one of the top TEN scariest jobs ! ? 

Hence, my new adventure to write a blog to share my ideas and experiences with 5- and 6- year old children.

Teaching consumes me so I save lots of stuff, watch children and smile, and think kindergarten 24-7.  Oh, I do have time for family and gardening and reading and friends too.  But my files literally, physical files and now computer files are filled.  I need to clean out but I’m not convinced that one day I may need it and use it again in one form or another.
So here we go…..I will share with you.

                                                       
 








 Get organized.
1.  Find another teacher in the grade level in your building (if you're lucky) and work together.  Ask questions.  
Our school has a curriculum map which helps with WHAT DO I HAVE TO TEACH?  That will be your adventure.

                   

2.  Plan - Get a calendar or make your own.   I start with my school year calendar and write in what I know, meeting dates, specials (art, music, p.e.) events, assessments. 
I plan themes usually based on seasons for HOW do I practice the skills.  I will post theme ideas with activities, fingerplays, stories  to get started.
For example:  
names, apples,  chicka chicka boom boom alphabet, letter of the week, story themes, autumn leaves, holidays, birds, 
                                                 at the zoo....



3.   Be patient.  Search the web.   What is out there is overwhelming.  KEEP IT SIMPLE.




4.  ASK ME.  janetnolandcantrell@gmail.com






5.  Be yourself.  Learn the children's names!  Look them in the eye and 'mean it'. High expectations.  Breathe. Tomorrow is another day. Smile. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for making a blog! It's wonderful! You've got so many great ideas to share with all of your experience! I can't wait to keep reading. Ask me if you need anything at all!

    ReplyDelete