Saturday, August 6, 2016

Five for Friday October 7, 2016

.

Thank you Doodle Bugs Teaching.

 .

Even though it is October, we are still battling the bees.  I was stung last week as I took the kids to the bus.  OUCH!  So at home we've been trying this inverted top bee catcher.  This time we used a water bottle, but you can also use any plastic bottle.  Cut around top about an inch on the straight side.  Invert so the cap top is inside the bottom portion.  It is best to seal the cut edges.  Put dark soda pop about an inch from cap edge.  The bees go in for the pop and cannot get out.  


 .


For Fun Friday, I read Leo Lionni's little blue and little yellow.  I gave each student a little blue and a little yellow (about 1 blue to 2 yellow ratio) playdoh and they mixed and squished and rolled until 'they were green.'  


They also had to record their work.  They were allowed to take their green playdoh home to retell the story.

Name _______________________________________________________________________

K.RF.4.4  Read common high-frequency words by sight.    K.SL.4.3  Listen to and follow directions.
Directions:  Read the color word and draw a circle to color to show the playdoh color ball.
Blue       +       Yellow      =     Green
                      and                                     makes


At Home:  Make snakes, “flat” (2 dimensional) shapes: circles (pancakes), squares, triangles, rectangles, hexagons, diamonds, ovals
 


 .

I nearly forgot that I needed to make the yellow playdoh (I already had made blue to use at the beginning of the year.)  So I jumped out of bed at 10:30 and made up this easy recipe.
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cup salt
6 tsp. Cream of Tartar
3 cups water
3 T. cooking oil
food coloring
Mix dry ingredients together.  
Mix wet ingredients adding food coloring in a large pot. 
Blend both batches.   Stir over low heat  until it forms a ball.  Turn it out on the counter and knead a bit.  Let it cool and store in large zipbag.
You can add scents such as pumpkin pie spice to dry ingredients.  I'm going to make a batch of red to blend with yellow for the kids to make orange, that will be scented with the spice.

I have an idea for Thanksgiving that we will let the dough dry.  Coming soon. :)

 .


 So I'm now going to read the last Little House series The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  It is a beautiful cool sunny Saturday.  My favorite reading porch glider is waiting for me.
I'll grade papers later.
 .  




 Hand-in-hand
we grow!
(together)

No comments:

Post a Comment