Friday, August 19, 2016

Five for Friday, August 19, 2016

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S6AvlEdzae4/V7Yxe6yz9FI/AAAAAAAAhoQ/3KQLMdUCm_AeGlnhw9PGI0_0Bqniw2qQACLcB/s1600/fiveforfriday2_thumb%255B3%255D.jpg.

 .
 First 3 days with students.  
I have forgotten, even after 36 years, how things take at least four times as long to do at the beginning of the year.  
I am remembering quick phrases that rhyme to get their attention.
  • 1,2,3,  Look at me.
  • 1,2,3, Your eyes look at me.
  • 1,2,3, All eyes look and see.
  • Waiting in a line, and you're doing fine.
  • Hands on top, (students respond) Everybody stop! (hands on head)
 .

  
We made our name hats.  I showed names printed on paper and asked "Whose name is this?" to check on instant name recognition.
Then they glued paper names onto a sentence strip and decorated it.  We measured the sentence strip around their heads for a name hat.  I keep these in a gift bag for substitute guest teachers to use.

.
First fingerplay that I use:
I wiggle my fingers.
I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders.
I wiggle my nose.
Now all the wiggles are out of me. (We shake our hands to shake out.)
So, I can sit still
As still as can be.  

.
 The end of the day, we learn the fingerplay:
One Little House
One little house (hold up hand in a fist)
Shut up tight.
Open the door (open fingers)
 And there inside (using opposite hand point to palm of open fingers) 
Are....1,2,3,4,5 (point to each finger while counting)
Five little children tall and straight (point to each finger from base knuckle going up)
Ready to go to kindergarten (wiggle fingers of 'children')
Don't be late!  (put hands behind back)

.


In closing, after my first week of school with students, I need a break for my aching feet.
Trying equal parts of salt and baking soda in warm water.
Ooops, where is my glass of wine!






2 comments: